The elderflower blossoms are out and it's time to make elderflower cordial.
Homemade elderflower cordial is so much better than anything you can buy. Serve with sparkling water for a refreshing drink or sparkling wine for a delicious cocktail.
30 elderflower heads
1.7litres/3 pints boiling water
900g/2lb caster sugar
50g/2oz citric acid (available from chemists)
2 unwaxed oranges, sliced
3 unwaxed lemons, sliced
1. Gently rinse over the elderflowers to remove any dirt or little creatures.
2. Pour the boiling water over the sugar in a very large mixing bowl. Stir well and leave to cool.
3. Add the citric acid, the orange and lemon slices, and then the flowers.
4. Leave in a cool place for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Strain through some muslin and transfer to sterilised bottles.
We are just coming to the end of last year's batch and have enjoyed a little bit of summer, even during the winter months.